Popular Posts

Monday, March 7, 2016

Life On The Road



How do I even begin to describe this journey that we're on? Maybe with poetic phrases about the freedom of the open road, or the smell of the ocean on everything we own. I could describe the stark beauty of this world viewed from a place of adventure. The way the sun seems to shine brighter when your eyes are more open to seeing the beauty.

Really though, it is so much more than all of that.



I dreampt of this journey for years before we set out. We planned, worked, built our home, and all the while I was thinking about this journey and what it would be like. I just knew that freedom was all I needed.

And now we're here.

Some days, some parts of days it's everything I ever imagined. Pulling off on the side of the road to check out a spot that looked like it could be beautiful as we drove by, spending days at a time laying in the grass of a beautiful park enjoying nothing but the moment, wondering around lost in strange cities. It is all exactly how I imagined.

But it is much more than I imagined too. It's frustration and tears at midnight because the house is a wreck and we still haven't found a place to park for the night. It's walking around walmart at 2am because you just need space to breathe. It is endless roads that blur from one into the next until you have no idea where you are or why you got there. It is tunnels opening up to breathtaking views that remind you why you're here after a day of being so exhausted and not knowing what to do.

There is so much good, and bad in this life, as there is with any path of life you choose to live. I, however, wouldn't give up the secluded beaches, and magical vistas for a steady life in one place. There is still so much left to see. And we need to go see it.

2 comments:

Past Posts